WHAT: BTA Bike Swap at PDX Bicycle Show!
- Bargains on used gear for families, experienced cyclists and new riders.
- Clear out your garage, basement or shed by getting rid of bikes and gear that you no longer need.
- Help the Bicycle Transportation Alliance, the Community Cycling Center & You!
HOW: Three ways to get rid of your stuff!
- Individual Table/Space. Buy a table/space and spend the weekend at the show selling your stuff. 1 day or 2 day options available.
- Donate. Donate your stuff, take a tax deduction and your worries are over. Items that aren’t sold by the end of the PDX Bicycle Show will be donated to the Community Cycling Center.
- Consignment. Consign with the BTA, we’ll sell it for you and split the proceeds. You must label everything and drop it off between now and Thursday March 21. Anything that doesn’t sell must be picked up at the Expo Center at the end of the Swap. Items not picked up will be donated to the Community Cycling Center.
WHEN: Saturday March 23 & Sunday March 24
The PDX Bicycle Show is Saturday, March 23, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and Sunday, March 24, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. The BTA Bike Swap is open during show hours and entry to the Swap is included with your ticket to the PDX Bicycle Show! Most items for sale will be listed on this webpage prior to the show, so you can look for items you are interested in buying ahead of time!
SPECIAL BIKESWAP BUYING TIMES:
- VIP Shopper Hours (Saturday) Get a jump on the competition by being one of the first buyers at the Swap! The first two hours of the Swap will be open only to active BTA Members so you get your pick of the best gear. VIP Shopping Hours are Saturday, March 23 from 10:00 am to noon. BTA membership also includes discounts at nearly 100 local businesses, restaurants and bike shops plus many other member benefits. If you’re not already a BTA member, you can join at the Swap or by clicking here.
- Gambler’s Sale (Sunday) – For the final two hours of the Swap, everything that’s remaining will be 30% off the already low prices! Gambler’s Sale hours are Sunday, March 24 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
WHERE: Portland Expo Center
2060 N. Marine Dr. Portland, OR 97217
The Portland Expo Center is conveniently located along Interstate 5, between downtown Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington.
The Expo Center is served directly by TriMet’s MAX light rail Yellow Line.
Find your cycling route here.
The BTA Bike Swap will need volunteers starting Thursday March 21 for setting up before the show and also during the Swap. Each time you volunteer 1 shift (approximately 3-4 hours), you will get a free ticket to the PDX Bicycle Show. You are free to enjoy the show both before and after your volunteer shift. Register to volunteer here.
DONATE OR CONSIGNMENT DROP-OFF PLACES AND TIMES:
- From January 11 until March 16, Monday thru Friday from 10am to 4pm, you can bring your gear to the BTA office in downtown Portland at 618 NW Glisan Street, Unit #401. If you have large items, entire bikes or lots of stuff, call us from the door buzzer and we will gladly come downstairs to help you.
- From March 2 to March 16, you can drop off your items at the super convenient former Tazo Tea warehouse at SE 2nd and SE Ash. Volunteers will be there Tuesdays from 5-7pm, Thursdays from 5-7pm and Saturdays from 1-4pm. We can also meet you there at other times if you contact Lois at email@example.com or 216-870-0057. The warehouse entrance is near SE 2nd and SE Ash and there will be a BTA tent at the drop-off location.
DETAILED INFO FOR SELLERS:
- All items offered for sale should be bike related and associated with bicycling activities. Due to space limitations, items like kayaks, skis, snowboards, etc. cannot be accepted.
- All bicycle equipment should be in good working order, clean, and usable.
- The goal is to offer Individuals a chance to sell gear to fellow bicyclists. Selling at the BTA Bike Swap is not available to bicycle shops or businesses, although we will gladly accept donations of close-outs, overstocks, seconds, samples or discontinued gear and provide you with a tax donation receipt. Businesses that donate items will also be highlighted in a blog post and an e-newsletter.
- There are three ways to get rid of your stuff – Individual Table, Donate or Consign – details on each are below.
- If you purchase an Individual Table/Space, we will provide a 6′ foot table, one chair, internet access and lots of potential buyers! If you are bringing whole bikes or large items, let us know and you will have a selling space rather than a table. We aim to please and will work with you and your items.
- You bring your pre-priced swap items to the Expo Center on Saturday morning between 8:30 am and 9:30 am.
- You will be your own cashier, so you should have ample change and small bills. If you choose to accept credit cards, you must have your own card reading device or Square.
- Each Swap Table/Space receives one (1) pass to the show ($10 value). Additional family and guests will need to pay general admission to enter the show ($10 General Admission. Children 12 & under are free).
- Deadline to register is March 17, but tables/spaces will most likely sell out prior to March 17. We have a limited number of tables/spaces available and it is first come, first served.
- To register for an Individual Table/Space, click here.
Donate: This is the easiest option for you plus it helps the Bicycle Transportation Alliance the most!
When you donate your used gear and bikes, you can drop off your items at the BTA office, drop off at the former Tazo Tea warehouse or we will come pick up your items! We will take care of everything else and you will receive a donation receipt for your tax-deductible charitable contribution. See below for drop-off times and places or contact Lois at firstname.lastname@example.org or 216-870-0057 if you would like your donated items picked up. Download donation form & receipt
Consignment: You can consign your items and we will sell them for you!
- Decide what price you wish to charge for each item, keeping in mind that buyers are looking for bargains and you are looking to unload some stuff that you don’t use.
- Download a Tally Sheet and create a list of all of your items. This list must include your name, a mailing address (so we can send you a check), your phone number (so we can call if there is a question), your item’s descriptions and the price. Download Tally Sheet here.
- Bring your items and your Tally Sheet to us and we willl take care of the rest including: loading your items into the online catalog so buyers can find your gear, affixing price tags, transporting your gear to the Expo Center, displaying your gear for sale during the 2-day BTA Bike Swap, and collecting money from buyers.
- We will transport your Consignment items to the Expo Center, enter them into the online database, merchandise them, and do our best to sell them at the BTA Bike Swap. In exchange for all this, 40% of the sales price will go towards supporting the Bicycle Transportation Alliance and 60% will go to you.
- All unsold Consignment items must be picked up at the Expo Center on Sunday March 24 between 4pm-6pm. Any items that are not picked up will be donated to The Community Cycling Center and you will receive a donation receipt for your tax-deductible charitable contribution.
- Consignment Sellers will receive 60% of the price realized for their items. Payment for items sold will be by check and will be mailed to the Seller approximately two weeks after the sale.
- We have instituted numerous security precautions during the Swap, but can not be responsible for any unsold items which are not able to be located or are stolen.
General Swap Info:
- The BTA Bike Swap is open to the public. Member and Non-members may buy and/or sell items under the terms listed below.
- There is no additional entrance fee to the sale. Your ticket to the PDX Bicycle Show gets you into the Swap, with the only caveat being that Saturday, March 23 from 10:00 am to noon are VIP Shopper Hours for BTA Members Only.
- Payment can be made using Cash, Debit or VISA/Mastercard.
If you have any questions, need additional information or want your donated items picked up, contact Lois at email@example.com or 216-870-0057.
Contributions to the Bicycle Transportation Alliance are deductible for tax purposes to the extent allowed by the law. The BTA’s 501c3 tax ID number is 93-1057956.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT. With your help, the BTA works to create healthy, sustainable communities by making cycling safe, convenient and accessible for all. www.btaoregon.org